Tuesday 13 March 2012

Weird things that come out of my chickens


After a few days of not eating and generally moping about, we started to treat one of our ex-bats, Heidi, for suspected sour crop as whatever was in her crop was clearly starting to ferment.

Heidi, like all of our chickens, hates being syringed, but this is way easier than making a chicken vomit.

Having syringe flushed her crop daily with warm water and re-filled her with pro-biotic yogurt, garlic, ginger and pureed feed, for five days, she still wasn't passing.

In desperation we filled her crop with vegetable oil and checked on her when we got home.

I've never been so overjoyed to see my bathroom decimated with lakes of stinky pooh !

Half an hour of cleaning later, I found this. A 5 cm long lump of compacted fermenting grass, soaked in brown bile which her body had started to encapsulate.


Looking forward to seeing my little girl scoffing again this evening when I get home !

No comments:

Post a Comment